Expecting any probable outbreak of COVID-19 in the Islamic Republic of Iran, caused by SARS-CoV-2 virus, Iranian Railway has been one of the pioneer organisations inside the country that established a special committee, days before the arrival and outbreak of COVID-19 in the country, in order to plan and take any necessary actions to be more prepared to confront this situation.
As a result, the special committee has held its meetings at RAI HQ in Teheran regularly while establishing videoconferencing with all its regions across the country at the same time.
Some of the main measures which have been strengthened for confronting COVID-19 in the railway network since its outbreak have been as follows:
- request from the Ministry of Health and Medical Education to assist in identification of suspicious cases and prevention from outbreak at railway stations;
- request from Iranian Red Crescent Society to deploy experienced medical teams, equipped with related tools to diagnose and identify the COVID-19 infected people or suspicious cases;
- prohibiting all internal and foreign delegations;
- cancelling all training courses and gatherings;
- exchange of best practices and experience with other railways;
- prohibiting fingerprint time attendance for staff and instead using facial recognition attendance systems;
- closing all restaurants, sport and recreational complexes belonging to railways as well as train restaurants;
- permitting periodical leave for 50% of staff;
- providing and distributing banners, brochures, training videos/clips at railway stations and onboard trains;
- continuous disinfection of station facilities and equipment as well as passenger trains;
- installing hand sanitizing dispensers at the entrance of all offices, passenger stations as well as on board trains;
- temperature screening of staff on entry to offices and boarding trains at stations.
The Iranian Railway has been maintaining close contact with the government and health authorities of the country in order to better control the situation and react on any cases requiring immediate medical interference thus doing its utmost to maintain the railway operation in the severe pandemic conditions.